Holders Real open with routine win – Champions League round-up
Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Real Madrid began the defence of the Champions League by easing past Cypriot side Apoel Nicosia.
Forward Ronaldo opened the scoring by slotting home from close range and added a penalty in the second half.
Defender Sergio Ramos scored the third with an acrobatic overhead kick from close range.
Zinedine Zidane’s side top Group H on goal difference ahead of Tottenham, who defeated Borussia Dortmund 3-1.
Elsewhere in the Champions League
Turkish side Besiktas lead the way in Group G courtesy of an impressive 3-1 win at Porto. Former Liverpool winger Ryan Babel was on target for the Super Lig champions.
In the other group game, last year’s semi-finalists Monaco were held to a 1-1 draw against competition debutants RB Leipzig.
Champions League stats
- Porto goalkeeper Iker Casillas has equalled former Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs’ record of playing in 19 different Champions League campaigns.
- Besiktas were the 53rd different side that Casillas has faced in the competition, extending his run of playing against the most different opponents in the competition.
- Real Madrid have won their first game of a Champions League season played at Santiago Bernabeu in each of the 11 times they have started the campaign at home.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more home goals (55) than any other player in Champions League history (Lionel Messi, 54).
- Ronaldo has scored more penalties (12) than any other player in Champions League history (Lionel Messi, 11).